Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Reflection on Kessler's Essay

Kessler in her essay of Blah Blah Blah analyzed her friends very critically. Her choice of words, for example "trite" and "gratuitous", imply that her friends are people who follow the common crowd. That "blah blah blah" is a choice of words that is an easy way out from a long story, embarrassing situation, or just a lazy way of saying "You're not important to tell my story too". Overall, her essay is true, and I highly agree with her. Even though we're about 18 years apart, both our generations has that filler to end sentences. Hers might be "blah blah blah", and mine is "yeah" and "like". Both are for the same purpose. To talk, and try to get your point across with as little words as possible. As for me, when Kessler said she used "blah blah blah" in order to get out of embarrassing situations, I could see eye to eye with her. When I use "yeah", "like", or my favorite "like yeah", I mostly use it for getting my humiliating story over with. Also, to convey a great situation, when indeed I was humiliated. Using the combination of "like yeah", your story is over with painstakingly, no harm done to your ego. She ends the essay with stating to mute out the "blah blah blah" with music. I think an easier solution would be for you first to drop the over used, cop-out phrase, and actually converse with each other. One you get rid of it, many will follow in your footsteps. It just all happens one step at a time.

1 comment:

Sylvia Dyal said...

Perhaps she was being sarcastic? How would that change your perspective?