Monday, September 7, 2009

Reflection on Narration

This unit on narration made me think about narration in different ways. Narration is the story of your life. You decide what to say about it. All your memories are lined up in your mind like picture frames. You choose which one to remember.
In my group you could definitely see the difference in our writing styles. With narration, there are so many different ways to retell a story. When your writing your own narration, you don't want to leave any detail out. That is something I noticed. All the short stories we read, the authors remembered every last detail, as if they don't want us to question them about their life. They lived it, they could change any detail about it that they want or don't want us to know.
I really liked this unit on narration. It opened up my eyes on an easy concept that I now look at as an art form. Who would have thought that writing about your own life would be so difficult? It takes time and patience to learn how to write like these authors do. Knowing which details to leave in, what story to tell, how to tell it are all things that pass through your mind all at once. I truly appreciate this form of writing after trying to write an essay using the word "we" constantly. Not the easiest task I have taken.

No comments: