Friday, November 14, 2008

A FairyTale Ending.

I grew up in a typical Mexican family. Quinceañeras all the time, every year. Even though I am half White and half Mexican, I can act like a girl that just came from el D.F. (Mexico City). All my life I grew up knowing that one day, my quinceañera would come. That would be my day to be a princess.

Every girl that I know, has wanted to be a princess all her childhood. I know I did! We grow up watching Cinderella and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, that we forget that we must come back to reality sooner or later.

Now, my quinceañera was last summer, and boy did I have some fun that day. I felt like Cinderella. All my expectations of that day came true. We danced the vals right, my parents hired Nump to perform, and the decorations were phenomenal. My dress was exquisite, baby blue, and just like Cinderella's. That day, I truly felt as if I was the princess that night. Then, the clock struck twelve. I don't see myself being a princess anymore. 

A quinceañera is a coming of age, were a girl transitions to becoming a young lady. I think this did happen to me. Sure, I still obsess over the princesses, but that's my love for Disney. After my quinceañera, I began to understand the meaning of growing up and being mature. Of course this didn't happen overnight, it took over a year to realize I need to let go of my past, and refresh my life. I learned to just let go what might have been good for me then, was not always going to be salutary in my life. Sometimes, you just got to move on.

No comments: